Bicycle Friendly Community Renewal Application
Despite the pandemic, Bike Mansfield has continued its advocacy efforts and we are happy to report some significant developments:
- We were able to enlist the skills of Clough Harbor Associates (in Storrs Center) and Mansfield’s Town Engineering Office to create both a large scale (24”x36”) map and a foldable 13”x19” version of the Town’s bike routes and points of interest are nearing completion and will be available this Spring.
- New paved bike/pedestrian pathways were constructed by the Town on Rte 89 from 195 to the Southeast school and on Eastwood Road from Hillside Circle to South Eagleville Road.
- The Town and Bike Mansfield have also received grants from the Capital Region of Governments and the Mansfield Lions Club (respectively) to help train the elementary and middle school PE teachers in bicycle instruction for 4th or 5th graders.
- A new mountain bike trail was constructed on the Southworth Preserve that connects the Chaffeeville/Dodd Road area to the many trails in the Mansfield Hollow State Park across from the Southeast School.
- Under a grant received by the Mansfield Downtown Partnership, bike racks at six popular Town facilities will be installed this Spring.
- Finally, bicycle parking symbols were fabricated and installed on the East and South railings of the Town Square in downtown Storrs.
We look forward to seeing folks again at the 2021 Tour de Mansfield as well as the Celebrate Mansfield Festival in the fall as soon as it is safe to resume these types of gatherings!